Website security is becoming an increasingly critical issue for all businesses. In my first 10 years in this industry I only saw 1 hacked website: designing and building sites with a little support was all that was needed. Today this is no longer an option. The number of website attacks increases daily and with it the risks to your business.
Am I at risk?
Hackers gain kudos and earn money (plenty of it!) from hacking. Even well known and renowned websites are among hackers victims: in November 2015 The Independent newspaper website fell victim to a hacker who, undetected for weeks, infected computers of the website's visitors with a dangerous virus. Sony, Citibank, Nasa and The New York Times have all been famously hacked too.
As a website owner you have a responsibility to protect your visitors and their data from malicious attacks.
In addition there are real risks to your business and reputation. Browsers such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer or anti-virus software such as Avast or Windows Defender can detect malware in your website, if they find it they will automatically blacklist your entire domain and stop visitors going to your site by showing danger alerts.
Sometimes hackers go one stage further and add their own files to execute scripts. These could lie undetected if regular security scans are not carried out. You wouldn't know about them until the hosting company shuts down your site because it is abusing the server or no-one is receiving your emails because it has been blacklisted for sending out spam.
What can I do?
I offer a biannual support service that will help to protect your site, your visitors and customers as well as your reputation, not to mention save you considerable future expense of rectifying preventable hacking attacks.
The biannual support service means your site is checked twice a year.
So once every six months...
- Your site will be scanned for malware.
- It will be upgraded to the latest Typesetter version
- Any recommended configuration changes will be made
- You can have up to 30 minutes support or amendments
Each individual site will also need an initial audit of extensions and to draw up a list of functions/pages to test after each upgrade.
What does it cost?
- £100 per annum for the core CMS
- Additional extensions can be maintained for £10 or 20 per extension (dependant on the complexity of the extension)
- Initial audit £25
Support / Amendments
Your 30 minutes of support / amendments can be used for any of the following:
- General website help and support
- Content updates and creating new pages
- Search engine optimisation
- Template tweaks
- Creating / editing contact forms
- Selecting extensions
- Installing and configuring extensions
- Changes to menus
- Consultancy and advice
- Upgrading Typesetter
- Removing extensions that you feel are no longer needed
- Install updates to extensions you have chosen not to cover in your support contract
- Upgrading template following Typesetter and extensions upgrade
If you do not wish to have biannual support
No problem, you can still have "Pay As You Go" (PAYG) support. PAYG support prices have just been increased, but will stay at the current rate for those with a support contract for at least 12 months.